Where I've Been

Thursday, June 26th, 6:00pm-My Dad calls and tells me that my only living Grandfather, who lives in San Bernardino, California, has had a massive heart attack and may only have a few days left. Sam and I start talking about whether to fly or drive to go see him and how quickly we can get there. 6:30pm-Dad calls again and gives me the news that my Great Uncle, who lives in Reno, Nevada, has also had a heart attack and is going into the hospital. Sam, my Father and I spend the next five hours figuring out travel plans. Friday, June 27th, 6:00am-I wake up and start packing for four people for a 4-8 day road trip. 12:00pm-We finally get on the road, headed to California. We spend about 13 hours in the car with a two year old (who thankfully is an angel who loves being in the car) and an 8wk old newborn (who is also an angel, however HATES being in the car). It was very slow going with having to stop frequently to nurse her and quiet her but we did it. Some of the scenery in the Rocky Mountains and Utah was absolutely stunning! Saturday, June 28th, 1:00am-We finally roll into Las Vegas for the night. A wonderful friend and her husband were kind enough to put us up at their place for the night, stay up until we got there at 2 in the morning and even helped carry our bags. Saturday, June 28th, 6:00am-I wake up, shower, get ready and get us all on the road. It was only about a 4 hour drive from Vegas to San Bernardino but it took so much longer because Aya cried the whole time. We were constantly stopping to calm her down (have I mentioned that she really doesn't like being in the car?). 2:00pm-We arrive in California! Had a couple of hours to kill so we stopped at Starbucks, cleaned out the car a bit and took some pics of my outfit that day (will be up here soon). 4:00pm-My Dad arrives at the airport so we pick him up then head to get some food. It was the first "real" meal we had as we had been on the road and the options were pretty much limited to gross fast food. After dinner, we find the hospital and visit my Grandpa. It was the first time I had seen him in about 10 years.  It was wonderful and strange to see him and to introduce him to my husband and children (his great grand children). We got an update on his condition, he was stable, but his kidney function was a huge concern. 9:00pm-We found a hotel and went to bed. Hallelujah! Sunday, June 29th-Went pretty smoothly, visited Grandpa and grabbed meals throughout the day whenever the nurses kicked us out of ICU. Oh, also, Judah had a complete blow-out and ruined his outfit. Monday, June 30th, 7:00am-We wake up, get ready, pack up the car, visit the hospital once last time. They told us that my Grandpa's kidney function was still less than ideal but that he would most likely be able to go home in a couple of days but that he would have to return in a couple of weeks for open heart surgery (nbd). On the way out to the car leaving the hospital, Judah pukes all over his clothes. We get him cleaned up and hit the road headed to Reno. 6:00pm-We stop at a cute little town called Bishop. We had heard great things about the sandwiches at Schat's Bakery. Unfortunately, they weren't serving sandwiches that day but we indulged in some of their baked goods and let me tell you, heavenly. They do ship so be sure to look them up! We ended up eating some pretty awesome Texas style barbecue for dinner so it worked out. 11:00pm-We drive through some beautiful National Forest and see huge Redwood trees. This was also a very difficult leg for Aya who cried most of the time. We finally made it into Reno and went straight to the Nugget hotel where we stayed for the next two nights. (I should probably mention that a few hours after Judah "tossed his cookies" Sam, my Dad and I also started to feel queasy). We spent the next couple of days visiting my Great Uncle and his family (many I had never met before), taking Pepto Bismol and spending lots of time on the toilet if you catch my drift. Wednesday, July 9th, 2:00pm-My Dad flies out of Reno. We spend most of the day continuing to visit. 6:00pm-Sam and I take the kiddos and head downtown in search of a good restaurant. It was our 6th "relationship" anniversary (yep, been together for 6 years), so we wanted to celebrate as much as we could. We found a place called Wild River Grill, which was amazing, and spent the evening reminiscing and playing with Judah and Ayelet. Thursday, July 3rd, 9:00am-We get up, pack up and hit the road yet again. I saw my first herd of wild horses which was so amazing. It has been on my bucket list ever since I was a little girl so I was thrilled (there were even some foals in the herd!). Drove through the salt fields which was really cool, and was able to make it to Salt Lake City, Utah before sunset. We headed to the Monaco hotel downtown. As we pulled the car into the valet, Sam and I smelled a funky odor. We unbuckled Judah to find the whole backside of his pants wet and stinky...yep, he pooped his pants...again. We unloaded the rest of the car with the help of the bellhop and marched our very tired, very poopy family into the lobby of this beautiful, nice hotel and checked in. Poor Judah waddled up to our room where I immediately stripped him down and put him in the shower. We all cleaned up after spending all day in the car, stopping in the middle of the very dusty desert to change diapers then ordered room service for dinner and went to bed. Friday, July 4th, 7:00am-We get up, order room service for breakfast and pack up the car for the last time. Judah spent the entire day in his PJ's as he was out of clean clothes after pooping or throwing up in so many of his outfits. I had never been to SLC before so we spent the first half of the day exploring a bit and doing a little shopping at City Creek Center. The city is beautiful and I would love to go back soon! 4:00pm-We get back on the road for the last leg of our journey. At some point after dark, we stopped at a closed gas station to change Aya's diaper and to feed her. We notice a building off to our right with a sign that just says "OPEN" and a green light flashing in the window. Now I don't know about you, but I've always heard that a green light in the window or at the door meant that there were drugs present for sale. About that time, while Sam was standing outside of the car changing Judah's diaper, he also notices a car that keeps slowly driving past us, getting to the end of the street, turning around and driving slowly past us again. The guy was quite shady looking and was clearly looking at our car as he creeped by. We took that as our cue and booked it out of there and back onto the Interstate. I was able to see a few fireworks in the distance but I was pretty disappointed that my initial plans of throwing a huge 4th of July barbecue and seeing a great show went up in smoke. Saturday, July 5th, 2:00am-A couple of hours after midnight, we FINALLY make it home. My sister had also driven in that day (she moved from Oklahoma to Denver) so we visited with her a bit before dragging ourselves into bed. Judah didn't even make it into his crib that night, all four of us just piled into our bed and slept. 
All in all, it was a good trip. Very interesting and stressful at times, but a good trip. We were gone for about 8 days and logged over 36 hours on the road. We only got one speeding ticket (I was not driving, lol). My Grandpa is home and recovering for the time being as well as my Uncle. It was wonderful getting to visit with them and meeting new relatives. We ate a lot of really awful food and had a few really good meals as well. I loved getting to spend a few days with my Dad. I got to mark TWO things off of my bucket list (driving to California through the Rockies and seeing mustangs in the wild). I got to spend some time shopping in Salt Lake City and had a great time with my loves. 
Now that we're back, we are trying to play catch up. I will be back to posting regularly and will be starting back on my healthy eating today as my poor body was put through it. So excited to get back to exercising as well! Needless to say, I am not planning any upcoming road trips with the kiddos!
Thank you to anyone who actually made it all the way through this post! Haha.

P.S. I would greatly appreciate your prayers for my Grandpa Charles, that his heart and kidney function continues to improve and that he has a safe and successful heart surgery. Also for my Great Uncle Roger, that he also continues to recover and listens to his doctors about resting and eating. 

~Happy Monday~